I grabbed an odd looking little cabbage at the store the other day, a Savoy Cabbage. It took me a while to get around to using it, it sort of disappeared in the back of the fridge for a few days. We also made habanero cauliflour cheese balls, and had homemade seitan as the main protein. This recipe turned out great, maybe even better than our roasted romaine hearts!
Roasted cabbage wedge salad
I think savoy cabbage is the prettiest, but this will work with Napa or red cabbage as well, with mild variations in flavor. If a whole roasted cabbage is too much for you (as it is for the two of us), do roast the whole cabbage. Covered and refrigerated, it will be ready throughout the week to include in soups and stir-fries.
- 1 head savoy cabbage
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- For the vinaigrette:
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- For assembly
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a large, sharp knife, quarter the cabbage. Depending on the size of your cabbage, these quarters may be good size already. If they seem too large for one plate, halve each of the quarters so you have eight cabbage wedges. Trim away any very pithy or brown ends of the core, but leave the core intact. The core will hold the wedges together while roasting.
- Arrange the cabbage wedges on a baking sheet. Drizzle the cabbages with the olive oil, and then sprinkle liberally with kosher salt.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Roast the cabbage for 30 minutes, flipping the wedges at 15 minutes so they brown evenly. At the conclusion of roasting, the cabbages may have some blackened, crispy outer leaves. If you don’t want this, feel free to take them out a few minutes early, but note that the inside of the cabbage may be less tender than if you had left it in longer.
- While the cabbage is roasting, make your vinaigrette: whisk together olive oil, sherry vinegar, and dijon. Taste the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the cabbage is finished quickly, work quickly: Plate the cabbage wedges, drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve immediately, while the cabbage is still hot.